Tuesday 28 February 2012

Mobile mantra grips student community

Today having a mobile is not criteria but having newer versions or changing them frequently, trying to be on par

with technology, seems to be the order of the day with college students, says VIKRAM MUKKA



The utility of mobile phone as a device which facilitates your communication, either by helping you to talk or text

from your phone, is passé. Times have changed so is the mindset of the youngsters. Today having a mobile is not

criteria but having newer versions or changing them frequently (trying to be on par with technology) seems to be

the order of the day. One finds relatively increasing number of students who are frequently changing their mobiles

in the city colleges today.



Some students say it is to update their gadgets with upcoming technology, while others seem it boring to handle the

same old phone for a long time when there is an option for one to exchange them with newer ones by paying minimal

difference.


Amit, a student of CMR engineering college says, “I change my mobiles almost every six months because I mostly

spoil them with over usage. Also I prefer to keep apace with newer technology. So I to opt for a mobile phone that

has new features. Till date I have had seven mobiles and would love to use the latest android ones.

Although in this tech savvy world the prices of the phones are decreasing very often but affording a new one
frequently is not a possibility with every one.
Surprisingly, the major chunk of the students is making it practical by shelling out money for phones by earning it
on their own by doing part time jobs or asking parents for the moolah. “I work part time to earn my own pocket
money which comes handy to pick up gadgets I like. I go for latest mobiles phones and I ensure that financial
glitches don't stop me from purchasing newer ones.

Till now I changed five mobiles and now I have latest Android 2.3 version,” says Sharat Chandra a student of AVC
Engineering College. With this fetish for newer phones among students the mobile retailers are a happy lot as it is
making their business boom like never before. “I have costumers from student community who replaces their old
phones every six months and with latest Android versions this has become increasingly normal,” says P.Jeji Kumar,
Manager of Sangeetha Mobiles Panjagutta.

No comments:

Post a Comment